Monday, February 11, 2008

Cookies, Anyone?

I must say that though I love baking, I've never really baked a lot of cookies. I think it's primarily because most recipes usually give a yield of about 3-4 dozen cookies (too much!), and I feel like a lot are going to waste if they don't turn out well. And since they usually have an odd number of eggs in the ingredients list, it's hard to half the recipe. But I've always wanted to try my hand at making different kinds of cookies.

Last Christmas, I saw the opportunity to try out a few cookie recipes. I baked a few batches of different cookies, put a few pieces of each in a small plate, wrap it in Christmas-designed foil paper, tie it with a ribbon, and voila! An instant Christmas present for my co-workers. Not bad -- I got to try some cookie recipes and spread some holiday cheer at the same time! ;)

Earlier this afternoon, I was trying to organize some of the recipes I've printed out from the internet. I saw a really old print-out for Mocha Rounds recipe from the Land O'Lakes website. It seemed simple enough so I decided to give it a go.

I didn't have the white chocolate baking bars, so I used white chocolate morsels instead. I only had a couple ounces of the semi-sweet chocolate bars on hand, so I used a Hershey's Bar for the chocolate dip. I don't really like the taste of vegetable shortening, so I omitted that one and just opted to melt the chocolate by themselves. I also made a few boo-boos while measuring the ingredients - I used half a teaspoon when measuring the baking powder and salt insted of a quarter teaspoon stated by the recipe. In the end though, they still turned out really well! You may want to follow the original recipe, but I don't think my goof-ups and substitutions actually hurt the cookies (although I wouldn't recommend using Hershey's Bar for this purpose - they're yummy but don't really harden once you've melted them so handling the cookies becomes a little messier than needed). Why they ended up having a cracked texture look to them, I'm not exactly sure. I would probably skip the white and chocolate dips next time. They look prettier after dipping them, but I actually liked the cookies by themselves. =)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I have the recipe for the oreo cheesecake? That was awesome! Better yet, can you give me some when you make one (he he he)

Ivy said...

didn't i give you the recipe for that already?!? but just let me know if you really want it. hmmm, you just reminded me it's been a while since i ate that. might just make some soon. pero wait, akala ko ba you're giving up sweets for lent? =P

Anonymous said...

I lost the recipe you gave me, or rather I'm really waiting for someone else to make it for me (hint, hint) and what better way to celebrate easter and the end of my sacrifice than having an oreo cheesecake right?