Thursday, February 7, 2008

Making Do Without for 40 Days

I went to church today and stood before a priest. He dipped his finger into a bowl full of ashes, put his finger upon my forehead and whispered:

"Remember, from ash you came, and to ash you shall return."

It's Ash Wednesday today, the first day of the Lenten Season. Being born and raised in a predominantly Catholic country, I have taken it for granted that everyone around me knows the significance of the ash on one's forehead. But walking home from work today, I felt a lot of curious eyes towards me. They're all probably wondering why I'm walking around with dirt on my forehead. =)

I usually try to give up something during the 40 days of Lent. This year it's coffee for me. I realized that I've been drinking coffee almost everyday for the past several months! Walking to work from the subway, I pass by a Starbucks store (they're everywhere!) and I always end up buying coffee. Even on days when I tell myself not to, I still somehow get drawn inside the store. I guess that's what being addicted to something feels like. Darn that caramel macchiato -- it's just so yummy! =)

Last month, I have resolved to stop drinking coffee starting in February. Well, at least to limit my coffee intake to just a couple of cups a week at the most. But what do you know, the very first day of February, I find myself buying yet another caramel macchiato on the way to work. Arrrggghhh. So I am glad that now I have to "force" myself to stick to my resolution. If making a sacrifice for the Lord is not enough to motivate me, I don't know what will. =)

P.S.
I somehow feel like a cheater for sacrificing something I want to give up anyways, so I have decided to give up eating red meat during Lent as well. Maybe next year, I'd be able to give up eating meat entirely. =)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Give up meat entirely? Wow that's tough. I guess I'll wait till I ask you for our next coffee run :)

Ivy said...

not this year! this year, it's just red meat. =) chicken is still allowed. ;)